lent started yesterday. my MIL is giving up cookies for lent. as a little cookie send-off, i baked her some of her favorite cookies, biscotti, monday night and finished it tuesday morning; so she could eat the entire batch to her heart's content. hehehe ;)
i don't make biscottis very often. i've only made it a few times and always with the same recipe. but this time around i decided i'd try a different recipe. after a quick search online and going through multiple recipes, i settled on one from myrecipes. theirs seemed simple enough (and it was!).
as i said above, i've only made biscotti with one recipe in the past. this one from myrecipe was slightly different and uses no butter. i have never made biscotti without butter before (never even knew that traditional biscottis were made without butter!). anyway, these biscotti are so, so good. must be because they contain no butter, the way they should be made. this recipe produces the most super crunchy biscottis ever, especially if you eat it soon after they've cooled. i absolutely love the white chocolate-vanilla combo because it is like the perfect little bite of sweetness in your mouth. and the added lemon zest is a wonderful little surprise too. it's like a hint of freshness, refreshing and delicious.
so what are you waiting for? if you're a fan of biscotti, why not bake some today?!! and if you're not, you'll instantly become a fan. m doesn't care for biscotti, but he absolutely loves these. :)
this biscotti recipe is so simple to make and produces the most crunchiest biscotti ever.
these are insanely good. i've never thought i'd love biscottis this much. i seriously ate 3 in a row.
i absolutely love how these contain only 55 calories in one serving. i could have 2 biscottis and not feel guilty at all!
white chocolate biscotti
recipe adapted from myrecipes.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups (6-ounce) bar premium white chocolate, chopped or 1/2 bag of white chocolate baking chips
- preheat oven to 300°F.
- place first 4 ingredients in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. combine flour, baking soda, and salt; gradually add to sugar mixture, beating until well blended. stir in chocolate.
- turn dough out onto a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. shape dough into 2 (12-inch-long) rolls; pat to 2 1/2-inch width.
- bake at 300° for 35 minutes. remove rolls from baking sheet; cool 10 minutes on a wire rack.
- cut rolls diagonally into 24 (1/2-inch) slices. place, cut sides down, on baking sheet. bake at 300° for 10 to 12 minutes. turn cookies over; bake an additional 10 minutes (cookies will be slightly soft in center but will harden as they cool). remove from baking sheet; cool completely on wire rack.
makes 24 (or however many depending on how thick/thin you slice it). these taste most delicious on the day they're baked, but will keep in an air-tight container for a few days.
55 calories per serving.