if you haven't noticed already, in my last few posts i mentioned about having extra heavy whipping cream in the fridge that needed upswing up. i used some of it and made a salted caramel sauce. the recipe made about 1-1/2 cup of caramel sauce and was just sitting in the fridge because i couldn't think of what to use it for. actually, i did end up using some of it as a drizzle for some cream puffs i made. those were so good. you really cannot go wrong with delicious cream puffs with whipped cream filling topped with salted caramel sauce. those were a big hit when i brought them into work to share with everyone. i know i ate 3 of them right off the bat after i assembled them the night before. yes, it's delicious and you can make some yourself if you like. the recipe is here.
so what do you do when you still have about a cup or more of the salted caramel sauce left? ummmm... make some mini tarts with leftover cookie dough. yeah, you can grab any sugar cookie dough and cut them into circles, then stick them in your mini cupcake pans to make your mini tart crust. that's what i did with the one leftover tartine lemon cream tart crust recipe. i still have one left (sitting in the freezer) and finally decided it was about time i put it to use.
and here you have it. these good-looking and very tasty mini salted caramel with fig topping mini tarts. so good. it's like sweetness on top of sweetness on top of sweetness. you can't complain about that. a little sugar overload? sure?! but the caramel gives you just the right amount and hint of salt to make this a truly delicious and sweet bite. i love it!
the sweet tart dough makes the perfect crust for these mini tarts. perfectly sweet and buttery and tastes delicious with everything as a whole.
you can never go wrong with salted caramel. i love how the salt from the caramel really balanced out all that sugar.
salted caramel & fig mini tarts
- 1 cup salted caramel sauce (recipe here)
- 1/4 of this sweet tart dough crust recipe
- 4-5 fresh figs or any fresh fruit of your choice
- prepare the salted caramel sauce and sweet tart dough mini crusts according to their recipes.
- once the salted caramel and mini crusts are ready, you're ready to assemble. pour about a teaspoon of the sauce into each cooled mini tart crust. if you need more caramel, add more caramel until it's close to the top. then top it off with a slice of fresh figs. you can even add a dollop of freshly whipped cream too if you like.
- that's it. enjoy and happy eating!
makes 24 mini tarts. :)