a while ago i made some mini cupcakes. well, i made these as well. i have to say i love earl grey and lemon as a combination. it is the perfect little bite in your mouth. like a cute cup of lemony tea (although i must admit, i don't like and don't drink tea). mmmm... nevertheless, still delish!
below's the recipe for these cute little cupcakes should you be interested in making some. i say they work great for that next tea party or any occasion. so bake away and let me know what you think! :)
i'm not a big tea person, but i have to say, i love this lemon and earl grey tea combination. so good, the perfect little bite in your mouth for that afternoon sweet. :)
earl grey mini cupcakes with lemon buttercream frosting
1-1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 earl grey tea bag
pinch of salt
1 cup buttermilk (you can use milk + 1 tbsp distilled vinegar)
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
3-3 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
2-4 tablespoons of lemon juice
milk or cream, as needed
for the mini cupcakes:
- preheat oven to 350°f
- if using milk + vinegar as substitute buttermilk, combine milk and vinegar and stir to combine. set aside for 5 minutes. mixture will curdle. otherwise, if you're using buttermilk you can skip this step.
- in a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. add in the earl grey tea bag and stir until combined.
- whisk sugar, oil and vinegar into buttermilk (or curdled milk mixture). make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. mix until relatively smooth.
- fill mini cupcake liners with a scant tablespoon of batter (cups should be just under 2/3 of the way full). bake for 15 minutes or until lightly golden, and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- transfer to cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
for the frosting:
- cream butter in electric mixer for 1-2 minutes until fluffy.
- slowly add 1 cup sugar and beat until smooth. add in the lemon juice, a little bit at a time and mix until combined.
- add remaining confectioners’ sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, and beat until well incorporated. mix at medium-high speed until light and fluffy (2-3 minutes).
- add cream or more sugar as necessary to achieve proper consistency. pipe or spread onto cooled cupcakes.
makes 36 mini cupcakes (or 16 regular ones). enjoy and happy eating! :)