happy december! is it really december, already?! well, that's okay... because this is THE best time of the year. i do love the holidays; it's the perfect excuse of all that baking. ;)
last december i decided i would chronicle my 12 days of christmas baking. i've done it the the past, just never wrote about it. last year's was quite a success in my eyes because i had plenty of eaters to gobble up all the goodies. but not just that, i actually baked all those days in a row, or close to it anyway. this year, i'm not so sure. but regardless, i will go ahead and do my 12 days of christmas baking again. i have new recipes i'd like to try this year. this first one here was one i stumbled upon on pinterest. i have to say the cream cheese as the secret ingredient in this chocolate chip cookies recipe was a surprising but pleasant and effective ingredient. it actually yields softer cookies. and they're not as sweet so if you aren't the so-sweet kind of person, then this is the one for you. i love how soft these cookies stayed even a day or two later. it's unlike any of the chocolate chip cookies i've tried in the past. now, is it the best ever chocolate chip cookies i've baked or eaten? ummm... that's a toughy. i wouldn't say it's the best ever, but it's one that i'd probably make again when i feel like it and have cream cheese lying around.
below's the recipe should you like to make some. it's pretty easy, so why not?! chocolate chip cookies are a classic and they do make for the perfect gift this holiday season. :)
cream cheese is the secret ingredient in these chocolate chip cookies. it produces a less sweeter cookie, soft and delicious in every bite.
i love how these cookies stay soft even days later. just make sure you keep it in an airtight container.
secret ingredient chocolate chip cookies
recipe from just a taste
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temp
- 1/4 cup cream cheese, at room temp
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- in a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt.
- n the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter, cream cheese, sugar, light brown sugar and vanilla extract until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes, scraping down the sides as needed. add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. add the flour mixture, beating to combine, then stir in the chocolate chips.
- cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate the dough for a minimum of 2 hours and up to 3 days.
- when ready to bake, preheat the oven to 375°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silpats.
- drop 2- to 3-tablespoon mounds of dough onto the baking sheets, spacing the mounds at least 2 inches apart.
- bake the cookies for 9 to 11 minutes, or until golden brown. cool the cookies on the baking sheets for 2 minutes then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
makes a good amount depending on how big your dough mounds are. mine were about a tablespoon or two and i got about 3-4 dozen (2-3 inches) cookies. enjoy and happy baking and eating!
notes: measure 1/4 cup cream cheese by spooning/scraping it into a dry measuring cup and leveling it off.