i'm way slow in posting this final recipe for my 12 days of christmas baking. the last few days with christmas eve, shopping and everything else has been pretty busy and hectic here. well, here is the recipe, finally. yes, a four different kinds of berries pie. every thanksgiving and christmas i make a berry pie. sometimes just your usual raspberry or blackberry. but for this christmas, i decided to throw in all the berries. you know, the usual – strawberry, blackberry, blueberry and raspberry. the end result? hahaha, a very berry delicious pie it was. we're not big apple pie people at my house, so anything other than apple pie is always a bonus. we've become quite the pecan pie lover and i made that recipe as well this christmas. you really can't go wrong with having too much sweet stuff around the house this holiday season (or any time of year really).
below's the recipe. i've done it with just one kind of berry, or all kinds of berries. so feel free to give it a try if you like. it's pretty simple and straight forward. oh, it's even easier too if you use a store-bought pie dough, already rolled out and ready to go. yeah, that would save you some time. otherwise, you can make your own. enjoy!
we love berry pies at our house. this recipe is so easy to make, especially with already made pie dough.
here's the pie all brushed with eggwash and ready for the oven.
the pie out of the oven, cooling.
nothing finishes a nice slice of berry pie like ice cream. yummy!
- 1 bag (16 oz) of frozen berries (any will do) or 4-5 cups fresh or frozen berries
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 store-bought pie dough (or make your own)
- preheat oven to 375°F.
- prepare pie dough according to pie dough directions if you're making your own. or take the store-bought dough out of the refrigerator and let it get to room temperature, about 15 minutes. then transfer the dough to pie plate; trim even with edge.
- in a medium bowl, combine the berries, sugar, cornstarch, and lemon juice. stir to combine all the ingredients. then add in the berries filling; and dot with butter (i usally cut the 1 tbsp butter up into tiny chunks).
- cover the filled pie with the second rolled out pie dough. note: if you want a lattice look, you can cut the rolled dough into long pieces and thread them to make it look like a lattice. i can't be bother with this so i just do the easy and simple way, cover it up.
- once the pie is all assembled, you can brush it with milk and sprinkle some sugar on top. or, if you prefer, you can brush it with a little egg wash. bake at 375°F for 50-55 minutes. if you want to stop the browning of the pie edges, you can first cover it up with foil, then remove the foil after 25 minutes.
makes one 9-inch pie. enjoy! :)
last year's day 12 recipe: holiday biscottis