i had been wanting to make this cranberry apple walnut cake since i tasted it for the first time a couple of months ago. one of my coworkers made this cake and brought it in for our company potluck. it was so good, i had to ask him for the recipe. i knew i would make it around this time of year and sure enough, i got around to baking it.
so, how was the recipe? ummm… the one he made tasted delicious. this one however, i think it was just okay. i've only had one tiny slice so far, so i don't know yet. but i can say it sounds like a great recipe and if it turns out right, it would be delicious! plus, i'm not sure if it was just me or what it is. but when i was making the batter, it was very cookie-batter-like and no cake-like at all. it was too dry. like there wasn't enough liquid ingredients in this. i looked at the person's photos and looked at mine and my batter did not look like hers. long story short, i improvised and added a couple tablespoons of water to my batter to make it more sticky or so that it would resemble a cake batter. that may have saved the cake, because it didn't come out too bad. now, if you're going to make this recipe, just be aware of that.
below's the recipe if you'd like to try it. i say go ahead, why not. cranberries, apples and walnuts are great combos for these kinds of cake. plus, it fits right in with the holiday season. so be merry and bake away! :)
i made these and gave them out as mini gifts.
another apple cranberry cake to add to the mix. these guys are great as bars too!
cranberry apple walnut cake
recipe from the bad girl's kitchen
- 1-3/4 cups light brown sugar OR 1 cup honey plus 2 tablespoons orange juice concentrate
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups sliced cooking apples (i used granny smith)
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- 1/2 cup fresh, whole raw cranberries
- preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9x13 pan very well, set aside.
- in a medium bowl, sift together the flour and dry ingredients, also set that aside.
- then cream together oil and sugar. add eggs and vanilla and beat well.
- once that's incorporated, add in the dry ingredients and stir until thoroughly combined. then stir in apples, cranberries and nuts.
- bake for 45-50 minutes. let it cool, then cut into squares or whatever serving size you like and enjoy!
makes one 9x13 pan size cake. enjoy! :)
check out last year's day 8 recipe: salted caramel chocolate pecan bars